Friday, April 4, 2008

Today's observation of Gratitude

I'm realizing now that Gratitude comes in many shapes, sizes and forms. I realize that I have so much to be grateful for and that every moment that I allow myself to feel (and I do mean really feel) grateful that my life is infinitely better than the moment before.

What I was grateful for on Wednesday, April 2nd:

1. My alarm clock
2. The sunrise
3. The sunset

I'm going to address these three together because they were so intimately related on Wednesday. I am grateful for my alarm clock because it was the only reason that I woke up on time and made it to work early enough to be ready to torture my pilates students.

Because of my alarm clock going off at the right time, I am so grateful to have had the chance to see the moon in the crisp, clean air as I drove into Manhattan. As I watched the moon, I was able to see the sun rise underneath it. It was pretty cool and such a quiet moment to really set my day off the best way I could have thought possible.

I did say that the sunset was related to both the alarm clock and the sunrise. Well, that is only partly true. I am so grateful for the sunset because I was also able to see that from my car. Doesn't seem like such a big deal, right? Well, since I usually miss the sunset, I was very grateful to be on my way home while the sun was setting. Somewhat unheard of, but very much needed!

4. My lack of internet connection

I was so super-motivated to get home and get myself on the computer before I headed off to bed. BUT my computer decided to not connect to the internet. So I went to bed early. I am so so so grateful for that.

5. One of those lavender scented body hot packs

I know you've all seen these things at your own local mall. They look like little pillows and are usually sold by people looking to reduce your stress. I've made it somewhat of a bedtime ritual to heat mine up in the microwave and use it to warm up my bed before I get into it. I love the feeling of a warm bed especially now with the damp, sometimes chilly nights of the springtime. It really makes my falling asleep so much easier.


Thursday, April 3rd

1. All of my amazing clients

I am constantly amazed by all of my clients. Whether they are working on their food and wellness "stuff" me or in the gym working on their physical bodies, I am constantly in awe of the progress that they are making and it makes me so grateful to be able to witness their growth and transformations.

2. Some quiet time to myself

As much as I love being around people, I still cherish my time alone. I got some Thursday, yay!

3. My school buddy Shayna

Shayna and I have been phone buddies for a whole year. She's got my back and I've got hers and I am so grateful that we've been able to keep our Thursday morning dates for so long. It's really amazing that I've been able to bounce ideas off of her and know that I have a constant source of love and support.

4. My bed

I fell into my bed Thursday night and it was like falling into a giant cloud. So perfect and so appreciated for a tired body!

5. A phone call with an old friend

Things don't need to change just because distance separates any of us. It's really nice to know that and not be the only one to feel that way.


Friday, April 4th

1. Patience
2. Being stuck in traffic
3. A short day
4. A working internet connection, finally
5. Good, sincere, honest conversations


I'm finishing up adding in details about why I'm grateful for what I've put on my list. This is a little bit of motivation. Know that writing it down is enough, you never need to explain anything.

I find that gratitude is a strong emotion and never really needs explanation. If someone really asks why you are grateful for something in your life, maybe they really just don't need an answer. Once you've experienced gratitude, the explanation of it will never do it enough justice.

It's a feeling, plain and simple.

No comments: