Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Figuring it all out...

The funny thing about food is that as soon as you think you've gotten it all figured out, you find out that there is something that you didn't know that ends us being so important.

I've been working on the wheat and gluten thing for a little bit of time now but I keep finding that I'm reacting more and more to different foods that used to be okay for me.

Geez! As if the wheat and gluten weren't enough!

Seriously though, I can feel a difference in my body and in my energy. It's amazing to think how much time I spent feeling not 100% and not knowing why. Sure I could have exercised more, eaten more fruits and vegetables, drank more water and gotten more sleep, but this whole wheat and gluten thing goes deeper than just all of that. Did you know that wheat and gluten is everywhere?

I'm telling myself over and over again that I need to cook more to keep myself healthy. To be honest, I'm okay about it but my problem is a little different than just cooking.

I'm frustrated by not being able to eat anything and everything that I want. I want to be able to just go into a store and know that I can eat, without a reaction, anything I want in that store.

The reality is that I can't.

The real truth is that I'm okay with it but I'm not sure where to start first. With the weather getting warmer, turning to beans and rice just seems too heavy.

SO, fruits and veggies?

Sounds like the best idea so far.

My favorite cookbook so far is "Greens, Glorious Greens." There are just so many incredible recipes and I've only scratched the surface.

I'm also thinking of reenstating my summer smoothie habit. I just can't wait for the weather to get a little bit warmer. As I'm sitting here typing, it's about maybe 60 degrees and raining outside. Definitely not warm enough to start thinking raw.

My next summer experiment is going to be raw meals. Don't get me wrong, I love a good BBQ and I love meat, but there are just some totally yummy raw dishes out there.

If you're in NYC, head down to Pure Food & Wine (or if they'll let you, Pure Juice & Takeaway) and ask for the lasagna. It's made of squash and so yummy. Then again, you could just take a trip down there for the Bunny Brew.

Come to think of it, when the weather gets a little less rainy, I'll also need to take a trip down to Babycakes for my tummy friendly sugar fix. If you're interested, let me know!

I have a lot of experiementing to do. I'm going to be checking out Gluten-free Girl's blog and any other gluten free resources that I can find.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments: