Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's Not Really The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

I've been doing something lately that has been super unproductive. 

I've been getting these thoughts that just nag me.  Not just a little nagging, but over and over and over again.

I say, just write it down, the voices will stop :  )

So here goes, as a human being and as an entrepreneur, I've noticed all the craziness that goes on around the holidays.

The holidays are over you say.  I say no!

There is still one more holiday before we are free and clear of the winter holiday nightmares- Valentine's day!


Don't get me wrong, I love the holidays.  I have nothing against food, drinks, trees, candles, singing, family gatherings and the like but there has been something about the holidays that has been just bugging me to no end.

We've all heard the talk about the economy.  I've promised myself to not quantify it as bad, good, or whatever.  It just is.

I admit that there are people suffering through this economy.  There are people who are suffering through this weather.  There are people who suffer through the holidays. 

BUT even though there is so much going on, there is this underlying pressure to give and not just to give of yourself and your time, but to give of your resources that you may or may not have.

Meaning, you are almost forced even though I should use the word encouraged to over-spend, to over-eat, to over-drink, to over-holiday yourself until you are shaking from it all come January 2nd.

No wonder so many people hide themselves away over the holidays.  I was tempted to do that this year and Christmas is one of my most favorite times of the year.

WTF?

There is too much pressure.  There is too much expected from family members, from friends, from significant others.  Just way too much.

I had 3 holiday parties in one day.  Seriously.  I made it to 2 of them and then had to put myself under house arrest for the rest of the season. 

It took too much out of me to give and give and give and give. 

It wasn't about the money.  It wasn't that I didn't want to spend my time, but there was just so much build-up to the season that my body and my soul just couldn't take it.

And now we're winding our way towards Valentine's Day which if you ask me is unfairly placed after the New Year just to torment people.

There are too many expectations.  He should be doing this.  She should be doing that.

Come on people!

Wake up!

Doesn't it ever just get to be too much?

When did spending time with your family, friends and loved ones become not enough?

That was my biggest wish for the holidays, for the new year, for Valentine's day.

I wish for time well spent and well enjoyed with those that I treasure the most.

I wish for you, the same.

3 comments:

Caitlin @ Roaming Tales said...

Valentine's Day part of the winter holiday season? Maybe but it's just as close to Easter as it is to Christmas. And there's St Patrick's Day and Mardi Gras/Carnival before then too. No respite from holidays!

Annette Nack, C.H.H.C., AADP said...

Maybe I should've been a little more specific!

I'm lumping V Day in with all the other hyped up, must give gifts or I appear as El Cheapo holidays.

I'm at least grateful that no one has started giving me Groundhog Day gifts- yet!

I just find it crazy how we focus so much on holidays themselves and not on our time with our loved ones. It makes me wonder where our priorities are...

Anonymous said...

I agree, time spent with loved ones, celebrating the holidays through shared experiences: those are what matters. As for jumping through hoops that others hold up: people will ALWAYS want you to keep doing tricks for them. There will always be another expectation, another obligation ... We came to a similar conclusion as you have, and now choose to celebrate the season mindfully, joyfully, not frantically. Hallelujah!
KLBN