Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Nature of Passion

Okay, so before you think this is some post about sex and sexuality, it's not.

I want to address the topic of passion and I mean more about passion for life.

A few months back I was driving down the East Side of Manhattan and when I hit the point where the Harlem River Drive becomes the FDR- right under the Triboro Bridge- I saw a familiar face.

After many years of driving through rush hour traffic, I've come to recognize some fixtures on the highway. It's not uncommon for me to see the same drivers, in the same cars, driving at the same time from week to week.

One of these fixtures is a, let's call him artist/poet, Otis Houston. The only reason I even know his name is because he posts signs pointing you to google him or check him out on myspace, or small poems or words of wisdom.

Sometimes its his form of performance art. There is usually some sort of fruit involved, like watermelon. You'll see a little more of him here.

http://thewinger.com/words/category/black-cherokee/

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=341712841

Even though he catches my eye every day I see him, there was one day that stuck out moreso than others.

On one day, he had posted a sign that I will never forget.

"Don't ration your passion."

Simple, right?

It's not just about the words. If you think about what he was saying with that sign is that you shouldn't hold yourself back.

We are in a society where we are always, even painfully, politically correct. Why?

Who are we helping by not being honest with ourselves? Who are we helping by holding back who or what we are?

Read this, it could change your life.


"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you NOT to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel unsure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others..."

-- Marianne Williamson


So think again what it is that you do with your passion? Are you hiding it? Are you making the most of it?

My question is- can you do more with it?

Are you living your life's purpose or are you hiding it because you don't think you'll be loved or accepted?

I've made the decision that I am going to be my beautiful, wonderful authentic self. I am not afraid of succeeding in my chosen field. I am already successful. I am already embracing my passion.

Free yourself. Live your passion. Live your life.

Or in the words of Otis Houston, "Don't ration your passion."

No comments: